Trump Administration Moves to Allow Indefinite Detention Of Migrant Families. What Happens Next?

The Trump administration on Wednesday announced plans to end a long-standing federal court agreement that could allow the government to detain immigrant families indefinitely.

Known as the Flores settlement, the existing rule requires the federal government to transfer minors, including those detained with their parents, to state-licensed facilities after 20 days in custody. But states don’t currently have licensing procedures for centers to detain families, meaning the federal government must release them after 20 days. The administration’s new proposal would completely do away with that time limit.

If the rule is implemented, families could spend months or years in detention centers while they await action on their immigration cases.

Immigration rights advocates say the new regulation is part of a larger anti-immigrant strategy.

“The administration’s new move to detain children indefinitely is highly problematic and in line with its other white supremacist policies attacking immigrant families,” said Azadeh Shahshahani, a human rights attorney and the legal and advocacy director of Project South. Shahshahani urged the courts to take action against the administration’s proposed rule, calling it “a blatant disregard of established precedent and fundamental human rights.”

In recent months, the Trump administration has taken aggressive actions to restrict immigration, specifically targeting asylum seekers.

Trump’s public charge rule announced earlier this month would make it harder for immigrants receiving government assistance like Medicaid and food stamps to obtain a green card. The administration also proposed regulations to make it harder for asylum seekers to claim asylum if they have resided in or traveled through a third country before arriving in the U.S.

Trump immigration officials blame the Flores agreement for allegedly “fueling” the number of immigrant families arriving at the Southern border. The president claimed immigrants see it as one way to be released from U.S. custody. These assertions are unfounded.

Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan said at a news conference Wednesday that the new rule would “restore integrity to our immigration system and eliminate the major pull factor fueling the crisis.”

The new rule is expected to be published in the Federal Register some time this week, and would take effect after 60 days.

Howe

Read more: https://fortune.com/2019/08/21/trump-flores-agreement/

Why Tiffany & Co. Created its First Men’s Collection

Tiffany & Co. is launching its first comprehensive jewelry collection for men in October as it seeks to diversify its traditional customer base.

The line is part of Tiffany’s strategy to attract younger shoppers and pump up sales, which have been dampened by a decline in spending by tourists from China and elsewhere.

Previously, Tiffany has sold money clips, cuff links, rings, and other traditional accessories for men. Now it’s seeking to increase and put a more modern spin on their men’s fashion statements.

The new men’s collection includes nearly 100 designs ranging in price from about $200 to $15,000 for jewelry. It will also begin selling home furnishings and accessories like cocktail shakers, ice tongs, and beer mugs, with men in mind.

The new line of goods will get its own floor space in Tiffany’s 300 stores, rather than being sold side-by-side with other items, said Reed Krakoff, the company’s chief artistic director, who developed the collection.

High-end jewelry is popping up on men’s fashion runways at Gucci and other big luxury brands, said Robert Burke, an independent fashion consultant. He also pointed to the influential Dover Street Market stores in London, Tokyo and New York, which are highlighting men’s jewelry. Saks Fifth Avenue’s new York flagship this fall is also opening a jewelry area called The Vault that will showcase high-end men’s watches.

Global sales of men’s fine jewelry reached $5.8 billion last year, up 23% from 2013, according to Euromonitor International, a market research company. That’s still dwarfed by women’s fine jewelry, which reached $33.2 billion in sales, up 14% from in 2013, according to Euromonitor.

“Men all over the world are wearing jewelry and more accessories as part of a wardrobe,” said Krakoff in an interview with The Associated Press. “You started to see it on the runways, in social media.”

Krakoff said that the men’s business hasn’t been a big focus at Tiffany, but there’s a big opportunity given that half of the company’s global customers are men. The vast majority of them buy women’s jewelry, he says.

“We have a captive audience,” he said.

More must-read stories from Fortune:

—Taylor Swift and Stella McCartney’s Lover fashion collection
—All about Stranger Things‘ Millie Bobby Brown Gen Z beauty line
—How Target packaged a turnaround
—How a new era of fashion logos is driving creativity and

Read more: https://fortune.com/2019/08/21/tiffany-co-creates-first-mens-jewelry-collection-going-beyond-mens-watches-cufflinks-rings/

Google DeepMind Co-Founder Placed on Leave From AI Lab

The co-founder of DeepMind, the high-profile artificial intelligence lab owned by Google, has been placed on leave after controversy over some of the projects he led.

Mustafa Suleyman runs DeepMind’s “applied” division, which seeks practical uses for the lab’s research in health, energy and other fields. Suleyman is also a key public face for DeepMind, speaking to officials and at events about the promise of AI and the ethical guardrails needed to limit malicious use of the technology.

“Mustafa is taking time out right now after 10 hectic years,” a DeepMind spokeswoman said. She didn’t say why he was put on leave.

Suleyman did not return multiple email requests for comment. He founded DeepMind in 2010 alongside current Chief Executive Officer Demis Hassabis. Four years later, Google bought DeepMind for 400 million pounds (currently $486 million), an ambitious bet on the potential of AI that set off an expensive race in Silicon Valley for specialists in the field.

DeepMind soon began working on health-care research, eventually creating a division dedicated to the area. Suleyman, nicknamed “Moose” and whose mother was a nurse, led the development of the DeepMind Health team, building it into a 100-person unit.

But DeepMind was heavily criticized for its work in the U.K. health sector. DeepMind Health’s first product was a mobile app called Streams that was originally designed to help doctors identify patients at risk of developing acute kidney injury. In July 2017, the U.K.’s data privacy watchdog said DeepMind’s partner in the project, London’s Royal Free Hospital, illegally gave DeepMind access to 1.6 million patient records. Suleyman apologized in a statement at the time.

In late 2018, Alphabet Inc.’s Google said the team that created Streams would join a new Google division called Google Health. The DeepMind Health brand was shelved, and Suleyman was removed from the day-to-day running of the unit.

Suleyman sat on an external panel of experts Google created to review thorny ethical issues related to AI. Bloomberg News also reported that he served on a smaller group within the company to vet particular projects, formed after an uproar over a Google AI contract with the Pentagon.

More must-read stories from Fortune:

—A rare tech company where women dominate
—Walmart CEO: VR training helped save lives in the El Paso shooting
—Can Apple afford to make its streaming vi

Read more: https://fortune.com/2019/08/21/google-deepmind-co-founder-leave/

National Weather

Click on map for forecast